Updated: Apr 23, 2020
“The distance between your Goals & Reality is called Action”. If I am not wrong, You have many goals to achieve in your life, might be you are stuck and you don’t know where to start & that’s why you are here today. I got it. And it’s completely okay.
So what I can do for you is to provide 3 simple yet very effective steps you can follow to make your dream goal true in your real life. Sounds good!
Okay so without wasting any time let's dive in.
And the 3 most important components for achieving your goal starts with these 3 steps;
We will discuss these steps in more detail;
Ask yourself “What do I actually want?” Is it to make more money?, Is it to become a great artist? Or Is it to buy an expensive car? Whatever it might be, make a list of all the goals you want to achieve. You might come up with maybe 5, 10, 20 or even more goals. But at first choose only the top & single most important goal that will make every other goal easy to achieve. For example if your goal is to buy a nice house & car for your family then earning enough money is the top goal you need to achieve first that will make the other two goals easier. So what is your top most important goal?
This step is really important. After you decided what to achieve, the next thing you need to ask yourself is why I need to achieve this? What is the real purpose behind achieving this goal?
And your personal belief system should be aligned with your end goal. Let’s say your belief says you want to make people happy & joyful in the world and your goal is to become a landscape artist who creates beautiful & cheerful paintings. Here you can see your goal is being aligned with your beliefs. But if your belief & end goal doesn’t match then it can lead to frustrations, unhappiness and finally you will fail to achieve your goals. Hence make sure to evaluate your “Why” very carefully.
Okay now this step can be really critical in terms of the technical aspect of achieving your goals. In this step we will go deeper & discuss on how to create a solid action-plan step by step to achieve your goal faster than you ever think.
Write your goals with the S.M.A.R.T goal setting system;
• S= SPECIFIC: Write your goals as specific as possible. For example, I want to read 10 books within next 3 months (9th of July 11:59 PM). Always remember “Vague goals, vague results. Specific goals, great results”
• M=MEASURABLE: Always remember, what gets measured gets improved. The goal needs to be measurable such as 10 books within the next 3 months.
• A= ACTIONABLE: Your end goal can be achieved by a set of tasks or action performed over a specific period of time. Make sure your goal is actionable.
• R=REALISTIC/RELEVANT: Your goal must be realistic and relevant at the same time. Don’t set goals that are impossible to achieve at the present time with the time & resources you have. If you don’t have enough time in a day, don't set goals to read 1000 books in the next 3 month. That would be quietly unrealistic & can lead to frustration & unfulfilled.
• T=TIMELY: Your end goal must have a specific deadline to achieve. If it has not, then it can lead to much uncertainty or you may lose focus to progress your goals.
Now you understand how the SMART goal setting system can help you to set goals much efficiently.
But always remember only setting goals doesn’t mean success. Hence I would like to share with you an idea, how to actually achieve your goals, And that is called “SYSTEMS”. Yes, systems can really help you to get there. For example, let's go back to our example of reading 10 books to read in the next 3 months.
Goal: To read 10 books in the next 3 months.
Step-1: Finalize the books you want to read.
Step-2: Let’s say to finish one book you need an average time of 9 hrs. Hence to finish 10 books you will need 9x10=100 hrs. Per day effort-> 90 hrs/90 days=1 hr/day
Goal System: I must read 1 hour every day from 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM for the next 3 months without any failure. (unless any emergency/ genuine reasons)
Setting goals is the first step, but if you want to achieve it needs a solid system in place that needs to be executed each day.
Many people read many articles over this topic, but a very few really execute it. The main key is to execute the tasks to make your goal come true. Always remember “The distance between your Goals & Reality is called Action”. Hence what are you waiting for? Get a piece of paper & pen, start writing your goals down, create a goal system & start executing it from right now until you achieve your goal.
Until next time, thank you so much for reading and wish you the best!
If you enjoy this article, you will love others too! Subscribe to my free weekly newsletter to stay connected and get new articles straight to your inbox! We never spam, Promise!